Sunday, March 21, 2010

Real Life Drama



Sometimes the conversations I hear are far more entertaining than the movies that Hollywood spews out.  Here’s a little ditty I was part of in the checkout line at Wal-Mart today.

The cashier is putting a large box of kitty litter in a cart as I walk up.  The customer that the cart belongs to is nowhere to be seen.

Cashier:            It’ll be a few minutes, honey.  She had to run and get a few items.

Me:                  Uh.  Okay.

The other lines are jam packed with customers and their Wal-Mart specials, so I stay put waiting for this customer to finish up her shopping.  For a moment I think that it’s common knowledge to finish your shopping needs prior to entering the checkout line.  But then I remind myself this is Wal-Mart, where common knowledge is not the daily special. Finally, the customer comes back with another large box of kitty litter.  I guess you can’t have enough kitty litter.

Customer:         That’ll do it for me.

Cashier:            It’s $19.43, sweetie.

Customer:         How much?

Cashier:            $19.43.

Customer rifles through her purse.

Customer:         How much is it?

Cashier:            $19.43.

The customer pulls out a wad of cash and begins to count out nineteen one-dollar bills on the counter.  She then dips into her sweatpants, pulls out a handful of change and begins to count out the pennies.

Customer:            How much is it again?

Cashier and Me:   (simultaneously) $19.43.

The customer counts out the change and hands it to the cashier who finishes the transaction and hands the receipt to her.

Cashier:            Thanks, sweetie.  Have a nice a day.

The customer doesn’t budge and there is a momentary pause.

Customer:         You know, I should have paid this with my food stamps.

Cashier:            What’s that?

Customer:         Give me my cash back and I’ll use my food stamps instead.

Cashier:            You'll have to go to the courtesy desk and do that.  Return the items and  then they'll re-ring it on your food stamps.

Customer:         (dumbfounded) Are you serious?

Cashier:            Yes. I. Am.

End of Scene.