Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Now that the iPad has been announced, I'm feeling cold and empty



So, the 2010 Apple Event has come and gone.  Steve Jobs has slipped back behind the curtain to conjure up the next idevice.  And here we are in the blogosphere left to our own meandering thoughts of what we just learned. What did we get out of it?  The iPad (jokes immediately commenced on the interwebs). 

I have to tell ya, people… it feels kind of like a letdown.

First and foremost, I am a Mac addict.  I have been one since 2002 when I purchased my first iMac G4. Since then I’ve had 3 ipods,  on my second iMac and currently writing this blog on my Macbook.  The only Micro$oft device that I’ve allowed to come into my home is the Xbox 360 and if you read my article My 3 Xboxes you would know my current feelings on that whole situation.  So, yeah.  I’m here to stay in Macville.  I like it here.  It’s a nice place to be. But the iPad? 

Yes, it’s sleek and beautiful and cool.  That’s expected from Apple.  But we’ve also come to expect the unexpected.  And we didn’t get that.  It seems like a typical tablet.  It’s got all the standard features of a computer-lite device.  But there was no “wow!  I’ve got to get me one of those.”  I was waiting for Mr. Jobs to say right before concluding the keynote, “oh and it can teleport you.”  (Apple has been touting the Star Trek thing a bit.)  I was holding my breath for him to say, “By the way, it grants you three wishes.”   But alas, no genie app announced.

Perhaps, the competitors beat Apple to the punch.  Maybe if the iPad was announced 2 months ago I would have a different opinion.  But now it’s just another one in this recent rush of tablet devices.

Or maybe it’s because I’ve become accustomed to being “wowed” by Apple’s announcement that I’m jaded a bit.  I guess the analogy is like getting a Mercedes Benz every year as a birthday gift, but this year you get a Honda Civic.  Hey, Honda Civics are pretty decent cars, but they’re no Mercedes.   


The positive side is the price.  The device starts at $499 for the base Wi-Fi and $629 for the Wi-Fi + 3G.  It’s pretty much right in the middle of that of an iPod and a base Macbook, which backs up Mr. Jobs keynote point of Apple’s desire to create a device that could bridge the gap there. 

But to be honest with you, I’ll probably get one eventually.  Definitely will have to research more on the 3G aspect of the device because of all the problems iPhone users have had (sadly, I do not own one… only 6 more months on my T-Mobile contract and then we’ll see).  But yeah, the possibility that I get one is pretty strong.  I’ve been a citizen of Macville since 2002, people.  I like it here.  It’s a nice place to be.