Friday, January 16, 2009

It's happening again and I need someone to explain it to me...


Over and over again I have to read about this kind of episode, and over and over again it makes my blood boil. There is not a satisfaction guarantee at the hospital, folks. People die there. That is why the morgue is located at the hospital. I may not have spent the better part of a decade in medical school but I'm fairly certain that if you have appendicitis and you don't go to the hospital for surgery, you stand a good chance of going to the hospital to spend some time in the morgue. And while I'm on my soapbox about shit that I can't tolerate, let me just smack the media around for a minute. I have linked to the story on the "newsok" website because I wanted to actually find out what the facts were in this particular story. The AP has been reporting that this poor girl died as a result of her carotid artery being cut during surgery. This would in fact give me the impression that the doctor had absolutely no right to be in an operating room because... and remember, I am not a doctor... there is no reason whatsoever to be cutting into the side of someones neck to perform an appendectomy. Tragically, this girl had her iliac artery cut during a necessary surgery in an attempt to save her life, so thanks for the accurate facts Associated Press.